Time Management is a skill that teachers have not yet learned how to master in the classroom.There are always too many things to do and too little time for us to do it in! Sometimes we try to squeeze everything into the daily grind and come out more stressed and depressed! Other times we simply leave the things out which seem less important to get the more important things organized and out of the way. But, unfortunately this practice just makes us feel more and more inefficient! What usually happens is that the quality of our teaching becomes the sacrificial lamb.
I present to you today some time saving tips just for you and proposed by K.J. Wagner over at Education Oasis. Let's see how best we can reverse the "stressed" feeling and make "desserts" out of those pesky time robbers!
Time Saving Tips For Teachers
1. Use a daily planner to keep on top of things! Always refer to it!
2. Leave difficult tasks for peak energy periods! When you're tired, do the smaller tasks!
3. Try scanning for students while they are at work instead of calling students names in order, one by one to take roll.
4. From the beginning of the year assign each student a number which corresponds with the number in your roll book. Let them learn their number and use it on all papers to be submitted. The papers can then be arranged in numerical order for easy referencing especially at the end of the term or semester.
5. Gradebook software can help you save a lot of time once you get the hang of it. There are some free ones out there in cyber land and there are some paid products also. If you are versed in the Microsoft Office Suite programs then you can use Microsoft Access for creating database also. Check a colleague for some ideas.
6. Allow self-grading and peer-grading when appropriate.
7. When students are passing papers have them pass them across and the person at the end will pass them forward. This reduces the amount of poking and upsets and of course the amount of time wasted.
8. Post a list of classroom routine and procedures.
9. Assign tasks to students.
10. Consolidate trips to the office instead of running up and down several times during the day.
Keep a file folder handy with forms or worksheets that you use regularly.
These are just some of the ideas on saving time so that we can enjoy desserts instead! However, if you wish you can read the entire article at education oasis. Click HERE for the article.